12. Pre-Season Comings and Goings

 



It was a warm spring evening. The extra optimism that sunshine brings, along with our recent promotion put me in a happy mood. As I pulled up to Glen Road I noticed that the pitch was occupied.. kids... bloody kids.. probably from the Glen Road estate and they were having a kickabout in the middle of the pitch.

I parked up and got out my car.

“Oi clear off!” I shouted, we have a training session here in 15 minutes.”

The kids stopped playing and looked at me puzzled.

“But we are training!” piped up one of the boys, a tall dark haired kid.

Then I looked to the side of the pitch and there was my Head of Youth Development, John Latham, a young eager 34 year old coach.

“Boss, he shouted running over, It’s OK, don’t you know what day it is?”

“err Thursday??..”

“No...it’s youth intake day and these are your new recruits!”

I observed the group of young lads who had turned up to train and hope to earn the dream ticket of an amateur contract with Morley Town Football Club.

“Right, err sorry lads.. err well I’m Mr Rudd, the manager of Morley Town. Now, let’s split into two teams and let’s see what you can do..”

Here’s the players who impressed me enough to offer them the first rung on the ladder of some kind of a football career....

New Youth Players

Owen Jones (MC)

Kevin Preston (MR/L)

Jonathan Tiernan (GK)

Paul Thornton (DC/DMC)

Martin O’Connor (ST)

Fletch Brooksy (DRC/MC/ST)

Chris Longbottom (MR/AMR)

Nicky Hairyes Lambton (MC)

Michael Aremu (DC)

 Players released

Heading out the door are a bunch of players who I inherited when taking over as manager and are made up players added automatically to the club. They are usually of a poor standard, but befitting of the level we are at I suppose. 

Jeff Smith ML – After initially being an asset to the squad, he was latterly doing my head in with his demands to start more games, so off he goes.

Lewis Love (GK )

Trent Hartas (DRLC)

Michael Gannon (DC)

Roger Winfarrah (DC)

Sean Markey (DR)

Asquith Brown (ML)

Mcauley Wetherall (ST)

Waide Andrew (MR)

Paul McAlea (MR)

Findlay Higginson (ST)

Raymond Findlay (MC)

Sam Price (MLC)

End of Season Round Up


Player Performance - 

A screenshot outlining the appearances, goals, assists and much more for each player.


End of Season Awards

Top Goalscorers Gabriel Ellis 21 goals

Highest average Rating: Gabriel Ellis 7.59

Most Assists: Nosa Iyamu 12

Player of the Year: Gabriel Ellis

Young Player of the Year: Gabriel Ellis

Goal of The Season: Sam Wright’s free kick in the 7-0 demolition of Ealandians

Biggest Win Golcar Reserves 0-9 Morley Town

Number of season ticket holders: 6 loyal Ultras

Most Goals in a match: Sanchez Payne - 5

Oldest Goalscorer: Jeff Smith 42

Youngest Goalscorer: Martin O’Connor (15)

 



End of Season 1


Start of Season 2

Board Confidence Update


Backroom Staff Comings & Goings

The board and supporters are pleased with my performance as manager, but will be judging how I get on in the Supreme Division.

Brian Latham Leaves Morley

My U18s manager, Brian Latham has left West Yorkshire to become the new manager of Higham Town in the Northamptonshire Combinations League Division One. Best of luck Brian!

Adam Thompson leaves Morley

My Under 21s Manager Adam Thompson follows Latham out the door to become the next manager of Hampton in the Midland Football League Division 2.

Michael Singh

My Director of football Michael Singh leaves Morley for Alvechurch.. no big loss really he didn't do much anyway...

Rob Day joins Morley

We have a new Head of Youth Development, in the shape of Rob Day. He will be vital as more of the kids make their way into the first team squad.

Morley Sign Matt Dempseyj

I have snapped up experienced defender, Matt Dempsey, who spent several years up the ring road at Farsley Celtic, Ossett Albion and Yorkshire Amateur among others. 

 

Not all Transfer negociations go so well though.. When I attempted to Sign a 30 year old Central Defender from Barnoldswick Town his reply was....

"I have absolutely no interest in entering into contract negotiations with your club under any circumstances! 
 
Charming!! (Obviously from the part of Barnoldswick that's in Lancashire...)

Find out how the rest of pre-season goes next time on The Ultimate English Pyramid Game! 

Read Part 13 Ten Friendlies Here!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2. Were All t'Leeds round 'ere aren't we?

1. Welcome to England!

8. Rising To The Top